(For important links to help you get educated about voting and register to vote in the 2017 General Election skip to the bottom of the post!)
If you are a young person living in the UK then please take the time to read this post.
Before I get into this, I realise that education is messed up – they’re more interested in whether you’re wearing nail varnish or your trousers are to tight than educating you on politics and what a mortgage means and how taxes work. Their priorities are all wrong and as a result, so many people leave school not having a clue about politics. Ultimately, education is to blame, in my opinion, for the amount of people who don’t vote. However, I can’t not put up a post about this as it is important to me and I know young people read my blog and I can’t not say this.
Use your vote
A few years ago I didn’t really understand why so many people get so annoyed about people who don’t vote, I mean in the grand scheme of things is my single vote really going to make that much of a difference? Yes. If everyone thought that way then nobody would vote. Only 64% of people voted in my constituency in the 2015 General Election. Do you realise how much of a difference we could’ve made?
I see all the people in my town ranting about how much they hate Conservatives and how our MP does nothing for us, but if so many people think that way then how did we end up with a Conservative MP again in 2015? I’ll tell you how, not enough of them got out there to vote.
We have been granted an opportunity for a say by our lords and masters, the politicians, and some of us are literally throwing that a way. This so called ‘democracy’ is incredibly unfair as it is, don’t throw away the one little bit of power that we do have. So many people don’t vote, possibly because they are lazy, or because “I don’t know enough about politics so I won’t vote” or “my one vote won’t make a difference” or even “I don’t like the leader even though I like the policies.” Would you believe I’ve even heard some people say “I knew Conservatives would get back in anyway so I didn’t bother voting” and even worse “I thought Labour were going to get in for sure so I didn’t bother voting.”
Can you see how pathetic all of those arguments are? It takes ten minutes on Google to get some basic knowledge of each party and their manifestos. You don’t even have to get up and go out to your local polling station, register for postal voting – it comes right to your door and you don’t have to lift a finger. Your one vote counts for so many reasons… it shows politicians that we aren’t ignorant and lazy and we care. It also means that more people voting means we can actually get a better outcome. Don’t sit there and complain about the “bloody tories” and then not go out and vote. You do not have the right to complain about anything if you don’t attempt to make a difference.
As for the “I don’t like the leader even though I like the policies,” that is ridiculous. You aren’t voting for Corbyn or May, you’re voting for who you’d like to represent your constituency and what is important to you. I don’t particularly like either Corbyn or May, but I am not going to give up my vote because I don’t like how they dress/their hair style.
I’m sure even my followers that aren’t English are more than aware of the fact that we will be leaving the EU. Do you know the turn out for England was 73%. What happened to the other 27%? You look at how damn close that referendum was – Leave won by 51.9%. Do you see how that 27% could’ve made a difference when it is so close like that? But, yeah, I’m just using that as an example because I wasn’t happy with the outcome and I wanted to remain, aren’t I? Maybe. It proves my point though.
Right, so if you’ve made it this far – which I really hope you have – I’m going to give you some links to make this all very easy for you.
REGISTER TO VOTE YOU HAVE JUST TWO DAYS LEFT – Click here
SOME BASIC INFO ON THE PARTIES AND THEIR POLICIES – Click here
SOME QUIZZES TO HELP YOU DECIDE WHO TO VOTE FOR – Quiz one | Quiz two
Now you have no excuse. It takes five minutes to register, five minutes to read up on the policies, five minutes to do one of those quizzes. Get signed up for postal voting so you don’t even have to pause Netflix to vote. Whatever you do, just do something. You do not have the right to sit and complain about our country if you do not vote. Your one vote DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
God I hope this post changes at least one persons mind.